So a few days ago I was having this insatiable desire for chocolate chip cookies. Man, I tried ALL day to forget about them, but by the end of several hours of suffering while I craved these chocolate chip cookies I finally decided I could no longer live without them. My hankering was too strong. (For all you skinny people out there- I fear this is a problem you seldom have unless you are pregnant!) #FatGirlProblems. Ha. Ok, continuing on- It hit about 11:30 at night and I decided I was giving in and started gathering my cooking gear to bake me some cookies!
Of course, with MY luck, I did not have all the ingredients. Missing Brown Sugar. (No surprise, somehow I am always missing just ONE key ingredient any time I cook anything.) I looked high and low for any possible sign of it, but the brown sugar remained MIA. Perfect. Just Awesome. I don’t know any good recipes for chocolate chip cookies that don’t include brown sugar. So it was time to turn to the source of all information….the Internet. After a lot of searching, I FINALLY came across this recipe and I decided to give it a whirl.
Let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised! I thought for sure that if the recipe didn’t have brown sugar it would be terrible, but this one was rather delicious. And the cookies were SOO soft! (Yep- I am totally a soft cookie kinda gal!) They had a slight hint of a shortbread-y type flavor, which I loved and I would definitely make them again! I think in general I am still a brown sugar cookie lover, but these sure were great- and they are especially great if you are like me and don’t ever have quite all the ingredients you need! (Sometimes I have to get quite creative with my cooking!)
- 1 cup of Butter (2 sticks generally)
- 3/4 cup Granulated White Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons of Vanilla Extract (I am a vanilla addict and refuse to go to rehab for it- so I LOVE that this recipe calls for a larger portion of vanilla than most!)
- 2 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Soda (If you live in high altitude areas like I do, I suggest doing 1/2 soda and 1/2 Baking Powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 2 cups Chocolate Chips (or in my case- whatever is left in the bag!)
- Start with preheating the oven to 375 degrees. Unless you have my oven- which I have mentioned in previous posts is actually an inferno hotter than the sun and I always have to use a way lower setting. But for everyone with NORMAL ovens that aren’t the spawn of evil, preheat to 375.
- Use a hand mixer and blend the butter and sugar into a creamy paste. THEN add the eggs and vanilla and blend until mixed.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Or if you hate doing dishes like me, use the same bowl- just be careful to mix together the dry ingredients extremely well before blending them with the wet ingredients underneath! Really it is just better to use a separate bowl so you know you can mix it thoroughly without worrying- but hey, I am lazy and HATE dishes, so I use one bowl!
- Use a spoon to hand-stir in the chocolate chips
- Drop rounded spoonfuls of dough onto your baking sheet, keeping them about 2 inches apart
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes, until you start to see a SLIGHT goldening on your cookies. (Not TOO golden or they end up burning or coming out crunchier than you want- unless you like crunchy cookies- in which case gold them to your heart’s content. Trust me however, this recipe is much better soft!)
- Once you remove the cookies from the oven, let rest on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before removing. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.